Comprehension, Grades 3-6
Instruct students in the seven processes essential for text comprehension.
Provides lessons to instruct students in comprehension processes.
Designed for use in teaching Tier 2 or 3 small groups of students who have been identified as struggling to comprehend even though their decoding skills are strong.
7 comprehension processes are taught in the following sequence:
- Determining Importance
Each strategy is practiced with both fiction and nonfiction text
3 sets of spiral lessons show students how to integrate the processes together
Explicit modeling cycle of “I Do, We Do, You Do”
The kit contains:
- Full-color, spiral-bound Teacher’s Guide of over 275 pages
- 28 magnetic color-coded tokens for teachers to place on text and mats during think-alouds
- 700 Color-coded translucent tokens for students to place on text and mats
- 10 plastic bags with handles to store lessons
Other materials available for download include:
- 44 passages (23 literary and 21 informational)
- 18 mats (12 for Determining Importance plus one for each of the other 6 processes)
- Rubrics and sheets to record progress-monitoring student data.